My Journey With Mathematics

Four members reported me to administration. What else can I add here without hurting someone's feeling? Moving on. . ..

After being attacked and threatened to be kicked out of the site yet again, I decided to stay here but only post when truly necessary. Read the big 5 below.

1. Forget the textbook. I will not post textbook problems here again.

2. I will watch Professor Leonard video lessons. Lessons are recorded in the classroom, for the most part, and at the level of students.

3. If I get stuck with something Leonard said on YouTube, I will certainly ask for help here UNLESS I have been kicked out.

4. I must have been crazy to think that going through an entire textbook was going to increase my math skills. I am not going to waste precious time on my days off doing that at all.

5. I will watch Professor Leonard, take notes and then work out the same problems he does in the classroom on my own. Working out the same problems and checking the answer will encourage me not to depend so much on math forums UNLESS I really get stuck.

Over and out!!

5. I will watch Professor Leonard, take notes and then work out the same problems he does in the classroom on my own. Working out the same problems and checking the answer will encourage me not to depend so much on math forums UNLESS I really get stuck.
Excellent idea!!

What makes you think I don't like the fact that this requires lots of practice? I like word problems. In fact, I consider solving word problems to be the most important math skill a person should have.

In 2006, I took a test at Bank One in Springfield Missouri for a Financial Advisor position. The test was open to anyone interested in switching career. Unfortunately for me, the test consisted mainly of word problems.

Most standardized exams are going to test your ability to think your way through problems. The exam is NOT going to ask applicants to solve x + 5 = 20 for x. Anyway, the Financial Advisor job could have changed my life for the better. Here is more sad news. The test proctor stated that my score was the lowest that he had ever seen working at Bank One.
Because you have asked this kind of question several times. There isn't a formulaic approach for everything but that's what it seems that you are looking for.

-Dan

Four members reported me to administration. What else can I add here without hurting someone's feeling? Moving on. . ..
Honestly I don't think you've done anything wrong in this thread. But I suspect most of the people reporting you are not doing so because you are "hurting their feelings." You've repeatedly not followed forum procedures (on several forums) and been warned repeatedly not to do so. But you keep doing it anyway. That's (mainly) why you are having a hard time with the forums. And I don't see any reason why it would have to be this way. You have been your own worst enemy and when warned you repeatedly claimed you have been "attacked." The forum rules are pretty clear and very easy to follow. I have never understood why you have such a problem with this.

-Dan

Thanks @feliz_nyc I will have a look and see what Prof Leonard has to offer, however, I can also understand exactly what @topsquark is saying.
As with my previous habit of cherry picking topics from books, I see YouTube as being similar in that you can dip in and out of subjects without adopting any tried and tested structure or program, thus leaving gaps in knowledge as some of the foundations have not been properly laid down.
Professor Leonard teaches in sequential order. In fact, most of his lectures are recorded LIVE in the classroom (students in the classroom) with the exception of Precalculus and Differential Equations (no students in the classroom). This means he follows a curriculum and syllabus.

Leonard covers the most important topics students should know. Keep in mind that it has been a while since his last teaching session because Leonard is building a bigger house for him and his family. I mean LITERALLY building a house. All video lectures are free. Leonard's goal is to make math easy for students of all ages around the globe. Leonard made a promise to upload linear algebra lessons when time allows.

Note: Another good math teacher is Jenn at calculus workshop but her lessons are not free. She also follows a curriculum and syllabus.

Because you have asked this kind of question several times. There isn't a formulaic approach for everything but that's what it seems that you are looking for.

-Dan
There is an inefficient way to learn math. There is an efficient way to learn math. I like the MATH FOR DUMMIES series because the material is broken down to the level of students.

Honestly I don't think you've done anything wrong in this thread. But I suspect most of the people reporting you are not doing so because you are "hurting their feelings." You've repeatedly not followed forum procedures (on several forums) and been warned repeatedly not to do so. But you keep doing it anyway. That's (mainly) why you are having a hard time with the forums. And I don't see any reason why it would have to be this way. You have been your own worst enemy and when warned you repeatedly claimed you have been "attacked." The forum rules are pretty clear and very easy to follow. I have never understood why you have such a problem with this.

-Dan
I will read the forum rules again and highlight certain parts that I should put to memory. I am big on following rules. If there is a rule that is not clear to me, I will ask you to explain.

Beer induced catatonia follow.
There is an inefficient way to learn math. There is an efficient way to learn math. I like the MATH FOR DUMMIES series because the material is broken down to the level of students.
You got this ...

I will read the forum rules again. I will highlight certain parts that I should put to memory. If there is something unclear, I will ask Dan (and the rest of you) to explain. Perhaps this is what I need.
The most important part is - follow the guideline.

But remember the guidelines are just that - not complete code of conduct (chiseled on stone). Most importantly if something is not written in the guidelines - does not mean that we (the tutors) cannot complain about it. For example, the guidelines do not say anything about "proselytizing" - however we tutors generally can sniff it out and it will earn the proselytizer a ban.

After being attacked
You're going to start playing that card, again? Really? In six years, not once have you been able to provide a shred of evidence to support any of those claims of being attacked. The issue seems to be your labeling of constructive criticisms that you don't want to hear as personal attacks.

Please stop posting personal gripes in the forum. If you take issue with specific content, contact a moderator or the site owner about it. Keep your personal issues OFF the boards.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

Yes, efficiency is an issue. But you seem more concerned about efficiency than you are full coverage. MATH FOR DUMMIES is easy to read and understand but what doesn't it cover? Just about all of the steps used to develop the material that they do cover. If you simply want to learn a few things then that's fine. But if you want to learn Mathematics you need the full package.

I am not suggesting you go out and buy a full out high level Math textbook that starts with the basic axioms and proceeds to slowly and ponderously derive algebra. That approach probably isn't for you. You seem to want to learn how to solve some types of interesting problems. And that's okay. But if you want to learn how to solve something you haven't seen before then you need to get that textbook and spend some serious time with it. There is no substitute. That's what I'm saying. (And really, that goes for any subject, from Mathematics to clay modeling. You need to spend the time to learn the basics if you want to learn how to do it right.)

-Dan

After being attacked and threatened to be kicked out of the site yet again, I decided to stay here but only post when truly necessary. Read the big 5 below.

1. Forget the textbook. I will not post textbook problems here again.

2. I will watch Professor Leonard video lessons. Lessons are recorded in the classroom, for the most part, and at the level of students.

3. If I get stuck with something Leonard said on YouTube, I will certainly ask for help here UNLESS I have been kicked out.

4. I must have been crazy to think that going through an entire textbook was going to increase my math skills. I am not going to waste precious time on my days off doing that at all.

Over and out!!
Why are you telling us this? We just want to help students with their math.

I will read the forum rules again and highlight certain parts that I should put to memory. I am big on following rules. If there is a rule that is not clear to me, I will ask you to explain.
One of the things you do - that I feel is objectionable is that you treat this forum as a chat-site like face-book or Twitter or such..

You fire-off posts in rapid succession - whose main content has nothing to do with solving mathematical problem (for example responses #5 & #4). I HAVE to read every response and I feel I wasted my time after reading most of your responses.

In this forum we want to solve mathematical problems - for other problems you may choose to call Dr. Phil.

You may want to use the PM mode when you have a need to discuss (poll) topics that does not involve specific mathematical problem-solution.