Quadratic word problem

omgineedhelp123

Hi I’m a grade 11 student and I can’t figure out how to factor the word problem of the equation. “A golf ball is hit from ground level. It is modelled by the relation h= -4.9^2 + 30.6t, where h is the ball’s height above ground, in metres, and t is the time, in seconds. For how long will the ball travel before it hits the ground?
I tried factoring it but I don’t know if it’s right

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Hi I’m a grade 11 student and I can’t figure out how to factor the word problem of the equation. “A golf ball is hit from ground level. It is modelled by the relation h= -4.9^2 + 30.6t, where h is the ball’s height above ground, in metres, and t is the time, in seconds. For how long will the ball travel before it hits the ground?
I tried factoring it but I don’t know if it’s right
That equation does not look right - check it out and post the corrected equation.

Ok I will text my teacher and ask her about it then repost it.
did you check the original problem - to make sure that you have not a mistake in "transcribing"?

I strongly suspect that it should be:

h = -4.9*t^2+ 30.6*t 0 = -4.9*t^2+ 30.6*t → t * (30.6 - 4.9 *t) = 0

There are two values of 't' that will satisfy the equation above. What are those?

There is no need for you to be messing with terms like GCF for this problem.

Hi I’m a grade 11 student and I can’t figure out how to factor the word problem of the equation. “A golf ball is hit from ground level. It is modelled by the relation h= -4.9t^2 + 30.6t, where h is the ball’s height above ground, in metres, and t is the time, in seconds. For how long will the ball travel before it hits the ground?
I tried factoring it but I don’t know if it’s right also I had to repost because I wrote the equation wrong

You tried to factor and don't know if it is correct. Well no one here will know either. Can you please post your work so we can see if you factored correctly and if not we can help you fix your work. You can always multiply out your factorization and see if you get back to your original equation.

BTW, after factoring what did you plan on doing?

h = -4.9*t^2+ 30.6*t → 0 = -4.9*t^2+ 30.6*t → t * (30.6 - 4.9 *t) = 0

There are two values of 't' that will satisfy the equation above. What are those?

h = -4.9*t^2+ 30.6*t 0 = -4.9*t^2+ 30.6*t → t * (30.6 - 4.9 *t) = 0

No, no, no. I beat you to this post so you have to remove yours. Thank you.

Here is an example. If x(x-3) = 0 then with either x=0 or x-3 = 0. Well x=0 when x=0 and x-3 = 0 when x=3. So the answers are x=0 or x=3.