volume of a barn

Well, I was about to start solving for the triangle prism

I was about to start solving for the triangle prism.
With this formula
V=a*b*c*h..............................................................incorrect
but Jomo stopped me in my tracks.
:)
What are a, b, c and h? Generally, in calculating volume we need to multiply three parameters with "length" dimension.

You really should have thought that the barn would have 4 walls! Let us assume that all four walls are each 6 1/2 ft tall and continue from there.

the volume of the triangular prism Vt =(area of the triangular base) * (height)

= [1\2 * 2.5 * 24] * 15 =450 cft.

So we have the volume of the triangle prism.

now I need to calculate the volume of the
rectangular prism, is that so?

So we have the volume of the triangle prism.

now I need to calculate the volume of the
rectangular prism, is that so?
You should be more confident. If you think this is the next step - do it and post the complete solution. No need to check before every step.

V=Bh (where B is the area of the base)

Let’s identify the base in our T.P

Since I am working with a T.P our base is a triangle.

B is the area of our base, and since our base is a triangle we need to find the area. I know the formula area of a triangle.

Area of a triangle= ½ bh

So we can plug ½ bh in the place of B in the equation.
Now, let’s rewrite the formula knowing this.
the barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Vt= 1/2bh

lev you wrote this: [1\2 *2. 5 * 24] * 15 =450 cft.

One thing I don't get. Where is 2.5 from?.

B is the area of our base, and since our base is a triangle we need to find the area. I know the formula area of a triangle.

Area of a triangle= ½ bh

the barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Vt= 1/2bh

The second shape is a rectangular prism. Why are you talking about triangular base?

I was just trying to make sense of finding the results given by Khan at #26.
I think Khan is referring to the triangular prism. He just plugged in the values for the formula but the formula was not there. I wrote it to try and make some sense of it. But i am not understanding the .25. Where did it come from?.
and the volume of the rectangular prism i have not done it yet.
Please, i need you to confirm if that is the formula he used and why the 0.25?. You asked me to ask you all when i was in doubt. I am about that.

I was just trying to make sense of finding the results given by Khan at #26.
I
You calculated the volume of the triangular prism. Now you are working on the rectangular prism.

Last edited:
Ok, I will take for a confirmation of the formula and the steps used. I'll do the rectangular prism now. But, pls, don't overlook my question. where is the 0.25 in the computation coming from?. Don't get it.
[1\2 *2. 5 * 24] * 15 =450 cft.

Ok, I will take for a confirmation of the formula and the steps used. I'll do the rectangular prism now. But, pls, don't overlook my question. where is the 0.25 in the computation coming from?. Don't get it.
[1\2 *2. 5 * 24] * 15 =450 cft.
I thought you were done with the triangular prism.
Ok. If something is not clear there, please draw the triangular prism with relevant dimensions - prism height, triangle base, triangle height.

Finding the volume of the rectangular prism

A farmer needs to compute the volume of his barn for storage purposes. The barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Given
v=?
rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft.
The height on both sides of the barn is the same= 6 1/2 feet, and from base to peak is 9 yards tall.

We need to start with the formula for the volume of a prism

V=Bh here b is the area of our prism and h stands for the height

We can identify the bottom rectangle as one of the bases of our prism, and that means that the top rectangle can be the other base.

both of these basis are rectangles and both have the same area.

So, i need to find the area?
the area of a rectangle is found by multiplying the length * the width of the rectangle

So to find the base of the rectangle we can simply take l*w

So, instead of writing B, the area of the base, we can write l*w and then times h

A= l *w * h

A =24 ft * 15* 61/2 (61/2 being the height of the rectangular prism)
A=360* 13/2
A=360*6.5
A=2,340 ft

Finding the volume of the rectangular prism

A farmer needs to compute the volume of his barn for storage purposes. The barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Given
v=?
rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft.
The height on both sides of the barn is the same= 6 1/2 feet, and from base to peak is 9 yards tall.

We need to start with the formula for the volume of a prism

V=Bh here b is the area of our prism and h stands for the height

We can identify the bottom rectangle as one of the bases of our prism, and that means that the top rectangle can be the other base.

both of these basis are rectangles and both have the same area.

So, i need to find the area?
the area of a rectangle is found by multiplying the length * the width of the rectangle

So to find the base of the rectangle we can simply take l*w

So, instead of writing B, the area of the base, we can write l*w and then times h

A= l *w * h

A =24 ft * 15* 61/2 (61/2 being the height of the rectangular prism)
A=360* 13/2
A=360*6.5
A=2,340 ft
I'm having a hard time understanding your posts. You use italics, bold, regular font, different colors. Are you quoting someone?
You asked a question about the triangular prism. I suggested drawing it with dimensions. Your next post talks about the rectangular prism. This jumping around is not very helpful.

The rectangular prism below the roof volume is:

24*15*6.5=2340

The triangular prism or roof volume is:

(27-6.5)*(24/2)*15=3690

For a total of 6030 ft^3

Ok, sorry. I thought the highlights helped. Sorry about that.
As to the drawings I'll do them. I try to figure out where the .25 came from.
I just it was good to go ahead with the rectangular prism and then take care of the doubt. But it is ok. Thanks.

Area of a triangle= ½ bh

Vt= 1/2bh

9 - 6.5 = 2.5

This is the drawing of the triangular prism as I see it. I think both prisms share a comon length and width, that is what i wrote 24 ft and 15 ft.
As to the height, the problem says is 9 yards from base to peak, but since I am taking into consideration the top base, then I think the height would be half of 9, which is 4.
That is all I have been able to read here.
Thanks
9 - 6.5 = 2.5
Oh, great, thanks a lot, Mr Khan.