volume of a barn

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, I need your hints to start solving the following problem.
A farmer needs to compute the volume of his barn for storage purposes. The barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Given
v=?
rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft.
The height on both sides of the barn is the same= 6 1/2 feet, and from base to peak is 9 yards tall.

as we need to find the volume, here's the formula to find it.
V=w*l*h
Correct so far?

Thanks,
eddy

Last edited:
Hi, I need your hints to start solving the following problem.
A farmer needs to compute the volume of his barn for storage purposes. The barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Given
v=?
rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft.
The height on both sides of the barn is the same= 6 1/2 feet, and from base to peak is 9 yards tall.

as we need to find the volume, here's the formula to find it.
V=w*l*h
Correct so far?

Thanks,
eddy
Whether the formula is correct depends on the shape. Do you understand what it is? Can you draw it?

It should be something like this.

Attachments

• 20210103_160454.jpg
    20210103_160454.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
I think that the barn may be considered a rectangular prism. If so my formula does not apply.

I think that the barn may be considered a rectangular prism. If so my formula does not apply.
The way you drew it (which is correct) - the barn is a composite of rectangular prism with rectangular base and another rectangular prism with a triangular base - one placed on top of the other.

The way you drew it (which is correct) - the barn is a composite of rectangular prism with rectangular base and another rectangular prism with a triangular base - one placed on top of the other.
That is the picture that came with the problem.

Well, on second thought it can be detached, I think . I mean, the ceiling and the base.

This is the best I could do.

Attachments

• 2021_01_03_0v7_Kleki.png
    2021_01_03_0v7_Kleki.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2021_01_03_0v5_Kleki.png
    2021_01_03_0v5_Kleki.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 2
Great. I see where you're coming from. Makes it way more simple and clear. You guys know your onions!.

Can someone explain how we can find the volume if we only know two sides of the barn have a height 6 1/2 feet?

Can someone explain how we can find the volume if we only know two sides of the barn have a height 6 1/2 feet?
Agreed that the problem could have been "stated" better.

Nobody can accuse Jomo of being born in the barn......

Well, I was about to start solving for the triangle prism
Now calculate the volumes of each parts (separately) and add those together to get total volume.
I was about to start solving for the triangle prism.
With this formula
V=a*b*c*h
but Jomo stopped me in my tracks.
:)