volume of a barn

So, why don't I go ahead and try to redo the triangular prism solution. I did not follow a couple of things there. What do you think?.

Vt =(area of the triangular base) * (height) , V=Bh (where B is the area of the base)

But we know a formula to find the area of a triangle .

Area of a triangle= ½ bh

So we can plug ½ bh in the place of B in the equation.

Now, let’s rewrite the formula knowing this.
A = 1/2 (bh) h
I am gonna label the two h's differently not to get confused.
A = 1/2 (bh1) h2
h1= the height that I used to find the area of the triangle (so it is the height of the triangle)
h2= it is the h for the original formula (V=Bh) this h stands for the height of the prism.
the next step is to identiy these variables in our prism.
Please, can you confirm if I am going well. Just a like would be enough.

Vt =(area of the triangular base) * (height) , V=Bh (where B is the area of the base)

But we know a formula to find the area of a triangle .

Area of a triangle= ½ bh

So we can plug ½ bh in the place of B in the equation.

Now, let’s rewrite the formula knowing this.
A = 1/2 (bh) h
I am gonna label the two h's differently not to get confused.
A = 1/2 (bh1) h2
h1= the height that I used to find the area of the triangle (so it is the height of the triangle)
h2= it is the h for the original formula (V=Bh) this h stands for the height of the prism.
the next step is to identiy these variables in our prism.
Please, can you confirm if I am going well. Just a like would be enough.
Looks good.

Identifying variables.
A = 1/2 (bh1) h2
A= 1/2 (24*
I am stuck here. I am confused about the heights given.
h1 is the height of the triangle, and the problem says that is 9 yd but from base to peak.
If i take the whole 9 yd= or 27 ft I will be taking part of the rectangular prism too. I don't think that is ok, or is it?.

Identifying variables.
A = 1/2 (bh1) h2
A= 1/2 (24*
I am stuck here. I am confused about the heights given.
h1 is the height of the triangle, and the problem says that is 9 yd but from base to peak.
If i take the whole 9 yd= or 27 ft I will be taking part of the rectangular prism too. I don't think that is ok, or is it?.
Yes, this is the missing dimension, but it's possible to calculate it. Look at the drawing of the whole barn and see which dimensions can help you.

Yes, this is the missing dimension, but it's possible to calculate it. Look at the drawing of the whole barn and see which dimensions can help you.
Would the height of the triangle be the half of the entire height , i mean half of 9 yd or 27 feet. Is that possible?.
and the other height 6 1/2 =6.5 is the height for the rectangular prism, not for the triangular prism or roof in this cae.

Last edited:
Would the height of the triangle be the half of the entire height , i mean half of 9 yd or 27 feet. Is that possible?.
You wrote above: "If i take the whole 9 yd= or 27 ft I will be taking part of the rectangular prism too. I don't think that is ok, or is it?"
You are correct - this is not the way to go, because you are including the rectangular prism. So, if you want to exclude the rectangular prism from the 27 ft total, what should you do?

You wrote above: "If i take the whole 9 yd= or 27 ft I will be taking part of the rectangular prism too. I don't think that is ok, or is it?"
You are correct - this is not the way to go, because you are including the rectangular prism. So, if you want to exclude the rectangular prism from the 27 ft total, what should you do?
Just find the feet from those 27 that represents the height of the triangular prism.
Or take away the 6 1/2 ft (the height of the rectangular prism) from 27 ft.
Yes, this is the way to go. I feel i am right.
61/2 =6.5 ft
so , 27 ft -6.5 ft =20.5ft

How would you write sixty-one divided by two if not 61/2. Using the same notation to write two different number is suicidal.

20.5 is the height of the triangle or h1.
Thanks, moving on to the other height, h2
h2 is the height of our prism. to find the height of the prism I need to find the distance between the two bases. Let me think a little bit here.

Isn't the distance between the two bases of the rectangular prism the same as the height, 6 1/2?.

Isn't the distance between the two bases of the rectangular prism the same as the height, 6 1/2?.
You need the distance between triangular bases. Please post a drawing with all dimensions marked so we know what you are referring to.

You need the distance between triangular bases. Please post a drawing with all dimensions marked so we know what you are referring to.
The problem says that the rectangular prism is 6 1/2 tall on both sides: for my untrained eye that looks as if the height between both bases is 6 1/2 or, the distance, in case we wanna change height for distance. For me distance and height are both the same thing here.

Attachments

• 20210103_160454.jpg
    20210103_160454.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
The problem says that the rectangular prism is 6 1/2 tall on both sides: for my untrained eye that looks as if the height between both bases is 6 1/2 or, the distance, in case we wanna change height for distance. For me distance and height are both the same thing here.
If you look at the shape as a barn, 6 1/2 will be the height of the 2 barn walls that are 15ft long. Makes sense? I don't see how it's relevant at this point.
The height of the triangular prism is the distance between the 2 triangular bases. Which is what?

If you look at the shape as a barn, 6 1/2 will be the height of the 2 barn walls that are 15ft long. Makes sense? I don't see how it's relevant at this point.
The height of the triangular prism is the distance between the 2 triangular bases. Which is what?
Can I say that the distance between the two triangular bases is 15 ft ?.

Can I say that the distance between the two triangular bases is 15 ft ?.
It is 15ft. But I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking for permission? Or guessing? There is no guessing in math. You concluded that it's 15ft - fine, don't be afraid to say it.