volume of a barn

This is the drawing of the triangular prism as I see it. I think both prisms share a comon length and width, that is what i wrote 24 ft and 15 ft.
As to the height, the problem says is 9 yards from base to peak, but since I am taking into consideration the top base, then I think the height would be half of 9, which is 4.
That is all I have been able to read here.
Thanks

Oh, great, thanks a lot, Mr Khan.
Still, what did you do to get 6.5?. I still do not follow.

I am sorry, but don't forget you are teaching someone who is a novice at Math. Anything that may seem simple to you is deep for me.

This is the drawing of the triangular prism as I see it. I think both prisms share a comon length and width, that is what i wrote 24 ft and 15 ft.
As to the height, the problem says is 9 yards from base to peak, but since I am taking into consideration the top base, then I think the height would be half of 9, which is 4.
That is all I have been able to read here.
Thanks

Oh, great, thanks a lot, Mr Khan.
Sorry, where is the drawing?

This is the drawing.

Attachments

• 2021_01_04_0qm_Kleki.png
    2021_01_04_0qm_Kleki.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 3
The peak in problem says it is 9 YARDS not feet. The walls are 6.5 feet. So the height of the trangular prism is 27-6.5=20.5 ft
Where does it say that the walls are 6.5 ft ?
9 yards into feet=27 ft

The peak in problem says it is 9 YARDS not feet. The walls are 6.5 feet. So the height of the trangular prism is 27-6.5=20.5 ft
You are correct... that should be

27 - 6.5 = 20.5 (ft.)

Jomo had sent me to the dark corner - and I could not see very well (yes - that's the ticket and I am sticking to it!!).

Guys, let's do something here. We have been all over the place. Can I retrace my steps and start again?. I am totally confused!!!.
Totally. Let's stick to a plan, please, if I get stuck I'll ask, and please, explain every move that I do not know explicitly, if you can.
I can't thank you enough for your help, I SIMPLY CAN'T. But i need to go step by step.

At #13 I attached the two drawings.

Then at 14 Mr Khan asked to calculate the volumes of each parts (separately) and add those together to get total volume.

From this post on I GOT CONFUSED. I could not follow what you were saying

At #13 I attached the two drawings.

Then at 14 Mr Khan asked to calculate the volumes of each parts (separately) and add those together to get total volume.

From this post on I GOT CONFUSED. I could not follow what you were saying
How about starting with the rectangular prism? All dimensions are known.

I had already started it. At post 35, I tried to find the volume of the rectangular prism. I did this:
Please, tell me what is not correct here, drop me a hint and i will continue. If i explain every step in detail is because that helps me remember it and know why I am doing it. Thanks, lev.

A farmer needs to compute the volume of his barn for storage purposes. The barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Given
v=?
rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft.
The height on both sides of the barn is the same= 6 1/2 feet, and from base to peak is 9 yards tall.

We need to start with the formula for the volume of a prism

V=Bh here b is the area of our prism and h stands for the height

We can identify the bottom rectangle as one of the bases of our prism, and that means that the top rectangle can be the other base.

Both of these basis are rectangles and both have the same area.

So, I need to find the area of the rectangle
the area of a rectangle is found by multiplying the
length * the width of the rectangle

So to find the base of the rectangle we can simply take l*w

So, instead of writing B, the area of the base, we can write l*w and then times h

A= l *w * h

A =24 ft * 15* 61/2 (61/2 being the height of the rectangular prism)
A=360* 13/2
A=360*6.5
A=2,340 ft

This is how I would find the volume of the rectangular prism

The volume of the rectangular prism below the roof is:

V=LWH You are given 24, 15, 6.5 ft
V=24*15*6.5= 2340 ft^3

Then you need to find the roof volume which will be the area of the triangle times the depth of the structure. You are told the peak is 9 yards or 27 feet from the ground. So the height of the triangles is 27-6.5=20.5 ft.

The area of the triangle is A=base*height/2. The total volume of the roof will be that area time the depth:
V=(bh/2)d, we know b=24, h=20.5, and d=15

V=(24/2)*(20.5)*15
V=3690 ft^3

So the total volume of the barn is 2340+3690=6030 ft^3

I had already started it. At post 35, I tried to find the volume of the rectangular prism. I did this:
Please, tell me what is not correct here, drop me a hint and i will continue. If i explain every step in detail is because that helps me remember it and know why I am doing it. Thanks, lev.

A farmer needs to compute the volume of his barn for storage purposes. The barn has a rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft, is 6 ½ feet tall on two sides, and is 9 yards tall from base to peak, what is the volume of the barn.
Given
v=?
rectangular base measuring 24 ft by 15 ft.
The height on both sides of the barn is the same= 6 1/2 feet, and from base to peak is 9 yards tall.

We need to start with the formula for the volume of a prism

V=Bh here b is the area of our prism and h stands for the height

We can identify the bottom rectangle as one of the bases of our prism, and that means that the top rectangle can be the other base.

Both of these basis are rectangles and both have the same area.

So, I need to find the area of the rectangle
the area of a rectangle is found by multiplying the
length * the width of the rectangle

So to find the base of the rectangle we can simply take l*w

So, instead of writing B, the area of the base, we can write l*w and then times h

A= l *w * h

A =24 ft * 15* 61/2 (61/2 being the height of the rectangular prism)
A=360* 13/2
A=360*6.5
A=2,340 ft

This is how I would find the volume of the rectangular prism
Ok except units. If all 3 dimensions have units ft, what is the resulting unit?

So, why don't I go ahead and try to redo the triangular prism solution. I did not follow a couple of things there. What do you think?.